Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Science Experiment, Day 2

So, 12-15 hours after initially making the starter, you are supposed to feed the starter with the same amount of flour and water as before. I may have undercut the time by an hour or so... I made the starter pretty late last night and I had to go to work this morning, so I don't think it was QUITE 12 hours... I didn't take pictures this morning partly because I was running late and partly because it didn't look any different than the night before, just a slightly larger ball of sticky dough...

After another 12-15 hours (this time I waited about 13.5 hours before I started messing with it), you need to transfer it to a larger clean bowl and feed it again just like the morning feeding.
From one bowl into another...

Yeah, it just makes yet another slightly larger bowl of sticky dough, although at this point, it does have a discernible odor... Kind of like when you leave bread dough out too long before baking bread... Not unpleasant or unexpected, but it does have a slightly-off scent about it... A little more pungent than regular bread dough. Hopefully this means that all is going well...
After the second feeding...

I did learn that my nice old mixing bowl won't let plastic wrap cling to its edges... I thought that maybe I couldn't reuse my already-holey plastic wrap that I used on the other bowl, so I tried a clean piece... It didn't cling either... So, rather than fight it, I'm going to overlook the instructions of "cover tightly with plastic wrap" and settle for "loosely cover with plastic wrap"... I did poke a few holes in the new sheet, just for giggles.
Loosely covered counts, right?

Now, we wait 24 hours (approx. 8:30 PM tomorrow)... It should be bubbly... If not, then we try again!

No comments:

Post a Comment